Education & Training

For staff at a gambling facility

All staff members who are directly involved in providing gambling services to patrons and their supervisors must successfully complete an approved training program before they start working at a gambling facility.

The Responsible Conduct of Gambling course is provided by organisations approved by the Commission. It includes material covered in SITHGAM201 - Provide responsible gambling services, as well as ACT-specific information.

View a list of approved training courses (PDF 78KB), Word Version (44KB)

Staff must also complete a refresher course every three years.

For Gambling Contact Officers

A Gambling Contact Officer (GCO) is the main point of contact for patrons and staff for gambling issues. Each licensee of a gambling facility must have at least one GCO who can be contacted when required, even if they’re not at the facility.

GCOs must have completed an approved training course in the last three years to start or continue in that role.

The Gambling Contact Officer training is provided by organisations approved by the Commission. While there is no specific Gambling Contact Officer course under the Australian Quality Training Framework, the courses must provide detailed training about the conduct of gambling services and problem gambling,  and include information about licensees’ responsibilities under ACT legislation.

View a list of approved training courses (PDF 65KB), Word Version (31KB)

Ongoing training

GCOs must also attend at least one approved training session or course each year to continue to be able to be a GCO. This training must be relevant to the GCO role and increase their knowledge of problem or responsible gambling.

The session or course might be a public lecture or seminar, a training session provided by the licensee, completing an on-line course, or going to a conference. Completing the GCO training above would also meet the requirements.

The Commission approves these applications on a case-by-case basis. To apply for a session or course to be approved, contact the Commission with details of the proposed session and how it will meet the requirements above, as well as how the GCO will provide evidence that the course or session was completed.  The Commission suggests that approval be sought before the GCO goes to the session or course to make sure it meets the Commission’s requirements.

Examples of sessions that have been approved by the Commission include;

  • Training session ‘Engaging People to Talk About Problem Gambling Issues’ offered by CCWT (limit of two GCO places available at each session);
  • Gambling Contact Officer Forum through ClubsACT;
  • Presentation by a gambling consumer or advocate.


In certain circumstances the Commission may give an exemption to training requirement so that staff can start work immediately. It may cover some or all of the training or give an extended date for completion of the training.

An application for exemption must be sent to the Commission before the staff member starts work. It must include the following information

  • details of the nominated persons;
  • the reason for the application;
  • evidence that definite arrangements have been made for the person to attend the next available course or that the person has recently completed a similar course;
  • the date of the next available course; and
  • details of the course provider.

Other gambling providers

Lottery providers and the totalisator licensee only need to provide training for the person in charge of each gambling facility (such as an agency outlet). This person then has to make sure that their staff and staff supervisors have completed an approved training course.

Approval of training programs

An organisation that wishes to have a training course approved by the Commission must lodge an Application Form – Approval of a Training Program (PDF 71KB). Advice to Training Providers Seeking Approval of a Training Program (Information sheet) (PDF 151KB) gives detailed information about what documents should be included  in the application. The application should be made to Commission well in advance of the intended program start date.

For more information on the approval process and requirements, please contact the Commission.